Monday, October 11, 2010

Slip-Stitch

I have about 10 new patterns sitting here on my desk, and about 100 different fabric yardages on shelves, and I just can't seem to make any of them fit in my mind. Solution? Read a good book on the couch and the answer will wake me up in the middle of the night. It's always that way.

In the meantime, for those of you who don't know how (I just learned myself) here is how to do a slip-stitch. The Mary Jane slippers that I just finished required such a technique and while the instructions were very clearly written, I was feeling particularly thick and couldn't make sense of it. That's where my collection of sewing books came in handy. After looking up 'slip-stitch' in 3 different books, it clicked.


Here's hoping that one of these 3, or all of them, will make sense to you, because once I got it, I was able to finish an open seam flawlessly, and I felt like a domestic Goddess after.
From the Singer Sewing Book, 1949.
From the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, 1958, courtesy of my awesome grandmother, Granny Rambo.
From the Vogue Sewing Book, 1970.

3 comments:

  1. Am loving your blog site. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    you have a really nice blog!

    Can you tell me which book is it in the first picture - that could be very interesting for me. Thanks.
    Bye
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Flotti Lotti Design
    Hi Nicole,
    The picture is from "Fabrics and Dress" by Lucy Rathbone, and I think it was published in the late 1920, or early 1930's. It's a great book so I hope you can find a copy!

    ReplyDelete